Abrazo Boricua is the sum of our coalition member’s collective efforts to meet the needs of the unprecedented number of displaced Puerto Ricans arriving in Orlando to rebuild their lives. Following Hurricane Maria and Puerto Rico’s financial crisis, hundreds of thousands of our fellow Americans have left everything behind to seek a better life on the U.S. mainland. While each of our organizations has its own focus and expertise, together we are working as a community to help those Puerto Ricans find refuge in Orlando and make our city their home.
Through workshops, informational panels, direct community outreach, and one-on-one guidance, we provide the follow assistance:
- Housing – Assisting new arrivals with finding and securing long-term and affordable housing.
- Employment – Connecting job seekers with employers, providing guidance on how to find jobs in Orlando and information on how to apply for unemployment aid.
- Education – Providing assistance with school enrollment and information on costs, requirements and financial assistance.
- Health – Helping new arrivals secure health coverage and connecting them with affordable, quality health care providers.
- Disaster Benefits — Assisting new residents who qualify in applying for FEMA aid, obtaining insurance recovery, and submitting claim forms.
- Transportation – Sharing information on transportation options and related costs/regulations to maintain a vehicle, including traffic laws.
- Legal assistance — Providing assistance to Puerto Ricans in need of legal advice.
- Civic Engagement - Information and educational programming